Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Xpu-ha Living Solo




At a seemingly earlier than it should have been 5:30am, Eric and I woke up and left for Cancun to drop him off at the airport. Once again, I was saddened by the fact that I would be without my husband for the next week, but knew the time would fly by quickly enough. I made it back to Xpu-ha in one piece, and congratulated myself for not dropping the bike in the sand upon arrival.

I spent my days at Xpu-ha catching up on blogging, exercising, doing homework, managing our business back home, and enjoying time with Simon, Lisa, Cory, Isabella and other new biker friends intermittently throughout the week. Simon and Lisa had a BBQ at their place the day Eric left, I played cards with Cory and had dinner with Simon, Lisa, Cory and Isabella on the second night, drove to Valladolid with 2 other couples in a bike group mid week, and we threw our own BBQ when Eric returned on our last night. Here are a few pictures to sum up my week: 

Self made kitchen and dinner for the week:

 



 
 Dinner with Simon and Lisa is much more healthy; Risotto, lamb and asparagus. Talk about fine dining. 



 BBQ at Simon and Lisa's. From the left: me, Ken, Brian, Michelle, Carole, Lisa, Simon, Pam, Dan.

Xpu-ha is a private beach separated by dead coral reef and woods from the other beaches. This is why it is still so private; it is not easy to get to in terms of walking distance. However, there is a path in the forest that I have seen many people take to get from one side of the beach to the other. I know it is fairly well traveled. However, I thought it would be a good idea to walk to the other side taking the beach instead of the trail without shoes, thinking I could find a bit of sand to walk on along the way. As it turns out, the waves are pretty harsh and the dead coral reef is very, very sharp. After a while, I found a pile of garbage which seemed to have washed up from shore (this is where all the waves compile), and found two separate flip flops which were in decent enough shape to wear as I continued my journey to the other side. However, the journey seemed much further than expected so I decided to take the path in the woods instead since I saw a good entry point. After a few minutes, I realized there were no other people on the path today aside from me, and a few minutes later, a random, young, male fisherman who emerged out of the woods. I saw he had a small hut for a home where he watches the pathway. I couldn't understand his Spanish, but he told me I couldn't continue on the way I was walking. I said no problem, that I would turn around. He stopped me and started talking about who knows what, so I told him in Spanish sorry, that I was going home. He then looked both ways along the path, and ushered me to go into the woods with him towards the beach, which I assumed he would then tell me to take the coral path I was on to get to the other side. I found this situation entirely weird, so I didn't follow him into the woods. Instead, I told him my husband was a few minutes behind me and I would meet up with him. He said ok, but asks if he could take a picture of me before I go. I told him no thanks, and start heading away. Maybe I am looking too far into this, but was the first time I felt unsafe traveling through Mexico as of yet. Lesson learned: its probably not a good idea to travel alone in the woods, no matter where you are. 
 Pathway leading into the woods..

 The easiest part of the dead coral reef
 Beautiful yet painful (duh Christine)
 Not bad for beach side dumpster diving
 Pathway where it all happened

A couple days later: 

Ride to Valladolid with Ken, Carol, Dan & Pam










On my last day in Xpu-ha, Eric flew back in to Cancun and brought a good friend of ours, Terry, with him. I bought groceries and food, and we had a BBQ inviting Simon, Lisa, Cory, Isabella, Ken, Carol, Dan, Pam, Peter and Matt and Amy. It was a good way to say goodbye to everyone at Xpu-ha and introduce Terry to Mexico. 








No comments:

Post a Comment